- Fitted the front seats properly and fitted the seat belt buckles.
- Fixed the electrics in the back of the van so all of the lights worked properly.
- Put flash banding and insulation in the side panels.
- Had a new limo window put in the back panel and had both back windows tinted.
- Had black mesh put on the front headlights.
- Disaster struck when we dyed the dashboard – it turned out to be paint so we now have a flaky dash.
- And we started to carpet the panels.
So after last months progress you’d expect there to be a lot of progress this month. You would be wrong. We wanted to have all the sides fully carpeted and make a start on the electrics so we can get the lights and carpet the headlining, however carpeting turns out to be quite a complex and long winded task. The actual panels themselves were very simple to carpet. I had made a good start on them but they did need amending as I had overlapped the carpets on the back around the corners, this meant they would not screw back into place.
So where are we I hear you ask? Well we have all the side panels fully carpeted including the wheel arch boxes and we have the drivers sliding door fully carpeted. Carpeting around the window has proved to be difficult so we are going to have to create a cut out template that is the shape of the window and carpet that so we have a nice neat finish. We have loads of carpet and probably have enough to carpet the van two times over. We also visited a carpet shop and saw a roll end of vinyl that was both big enough and had the right black and white checked pattern we were after.
We had a little hiccup whilst driving along the A50 between Derby and Stoke on Trent when the passenger indicator light came out of its socket. At the next junction I turned around and went full circle to where the incident happened and parked at the nearest park bay. Luckily there are plenty of these along this stretch of road. I then had to walk back along the side of the carriageway to the point of the incident. This is scary as hell, cars moving at 70MPH+ is very quick when your pretty stationary. It was dusk and I was wearing dark clothing so every time I saw a car I scrambled up the bank to feel safe. I got my indicator and it was damaged although the damage was minimal, this I think is partly down to the fly eyes tint on them. However we are going to have to get some new clear indicators because I cannot cope with seeing that indicator damaged.
During this month I also went to a VW T4 meetup. I was a bit dubious about going and expected it to be a load of chavs revving their engines and have their music loud. What it actually was, was a mixed group of people of all ages each with a passion for their vans, each doing their own thing, and each at different stages of their conversions. I really enjoyed it because you could ask questions and get inspiration. I also went to a follow up meetup in Burton upon Trent which was very good. It was a little awkward at first because I had parked next to some people who knew the person who I had bought the van off and they were saying that we got a bargain and the previous owner wants another one but then that’s how the cookie crumbles. The meetups are very fun and interesting and I will be going to more if time permits.
Even though we haven’t got done what I wanted, I am happy because we were away in Majorca for two of the weekends. We do have to get some work done to make sure it is MOT legal this month so the focus is on that but I really want to get the carpeting finished. Once it is finished the van will feel like it has reached a huge milestone so we are keen to get this done. The headlining will only be carpeted once the lights have been wired in so it will only be the sides and tailgate that will be finished. Check back in a month to see what has been done.
Month 2 costs:
Roll of Vinyl – £30
Carpet Spray - £20
Black Screws – £8
Tools (Electrician tools, knife and blades) – £30
Month Total:- £88
Total so far:- £569
To follow our progress please remember to like us on Facebook.